June 19, 2011

Moonlight Players 2011-2012 posters

"These are the rough designs for the program covers I will be drawing for the upcoming 2011-2012 season for the Moonlight Players. There will be seven productions in all, but the last show still hasn't been decided. Hopefully, I'm not letting the cat out of the bag by showing these, but I figured many of you like comparing the early concept drawings with the finished pieces. The names tagged on these are the directors of the respective shows."

GPz



"I'm not a religious man, but I've always loved the music for this show. Other than IT'S A BIRD, IT'S A PLANE, IT'S SUPERMAN!, this may be the only time I'd ever get to use the Superman insignia as a theatre poster element."



"I performed in a production of WILLY WONKA when I was still living in NY so I tried to find a design that didn't echo my previous art. The big candy bar seemed like a good design element (and who doesn't love Oompa-Loompas?)"



"The female shapes will be kept as outlines (again, not knowing who will be cast) and the background will be black) Also, the number '9" will probably be changed to the spelled out "NINE" on the back of the director's chair."



"When I actually draw the finished piece I hope to make it look like a painted wood carving."



"I had done a program cover for another production of DAMN YANKEES when I lived in New York. Like the original Broadway poster it spotlighted a full figure shot of Lola. I wanted to go in a totally different direction this time (plus I have no idea who will be playing anyone in the upcoming shows since no auditions have been scheduled yet.)"



"I remember seeing the movie BOEING BOEING starring Tony Curtis and Jerry Lewis when I was a kid. I don't remember what the poster art looked like, but I'm hoping I didn't repeat its design."

Link: Facebook

No comments: